3StepDivorce Massachusetts Divorce By Publication - Missing Spouse
When a Spouse Cannot Be Found in Massachusetts

In Massachusetts, when one spouse wants to call it quits but cannot find his or her missing partner, or when he or she is hiding, the Petitioner must file a Motion for Alternate Service.

This routine is used when the Petitioner does not know where his or spouse lives, or even if the spouse lives outside of Massachusetts.

Massachusetts's Search Requirements and Process

Massachusetts's courts do not require an exhaustive ("diligent") search that some jurisdictions mandate in the divorce of a missing spouse.

The Petitioner who cannot find his or her missing spouse completes a Motion for Alternative Service.

The Motion for Alternate Service identifies the town, county and state where the parties where married and the street address of where they last lived in Massachusetts. It states "...[T]he plaintiff has had no communication with the defendant, and has no information as to where the defendant now resides."

After a hearing, the Petitioner obtains a Divorce/Separate Support Summons and a legal notice from the clerk of courts. The Petitioner then sends the legal notice to a newspaper selected by the court.

The legal notice of the pending action must be published once a week for three weeks.

After this, a copy of the Divorce/Separate Support Summons and legal notice is mailed to the last known address of the missing spouse by certified mail, return receipt requested.

If the mail is accepted, the green postal return card is filed with the court. If it is not, the court is so informed, and the action proceeds as a default.

In order to be eligible for a "Divorce by Publication", you must complete and submit an Affidavit of Diligent Search to the court. This document clearly outlines all of the actions you have taken to locate your spouse, essentially proving to the court that your spouse absolutely can't be found.

>>> Download the Affidavit of Diligent Search

If you actively pursue locating your spouse through the methods outlined in the Affidavit of Diligent Search, and still can't locate your spouse, then a "Divorce by Publication" is your likely method of getting a divorce.

Filing for Divorce by Publication in Massachusetts

This routine for filing is easier than in most jurisdictions that require an extensive search.

The cost of publication varies greatly, but in general big city newspapers are more expensive.

From start to finish, Service by Publication takes about two to three months.

Massachusetts Service by Publication is described in M.G.L.

Copyright Notice: These Massachusetts divorce laws above are copyrighted by Divorce Source, Inc. This abbreviated and revised version of the state laws has been compiled from applicable state laws and unauthorized reproduction in any fashion is prohibited. Violation of this copyright notice may result in immediate legal action.

Get Started Today >>>

A Simple Divorce Process
BEGIN NOW - Choose State.
Answer the questions at your own pace.
Print, sign and file your divorce forms with your local court.
Get Started:
Customer Reviews
Only $299
or 2 monthly payments of $157
or 3 monthly payments of $109
Affordable & 100% guaranteed.
Instant Delivery - Instant Updates
Don't Settle for Anything Less

Divorce Exclusives
Not convinced? Try it before you buy it.

Watch Online Demo

Access Demo Account

Divorce Source, Inc. has been nationally recognized in the media since 1997.
Read Our Customer Feedback!
Divorce Source, Inc. is celebrating 18 years of online business. 1997-2015

Secure Site Versign Secure Site Guarantee Divorce Support Official PayPal Seal Divorce Application Our Facebook Page Our Twitter Page

Disclaimer: This is a quality non-lawyer self-help divorce solution. The 3StepDivorce Documentation software and service is not a substitute for the advice of a lawyer. Divorce Source, Inc. does not practice law and does not give out legal advice. The software and service allows you to represent yourself in doing your own divorce. If you need or desire legal representation we recommend that you hire a lawyer. Click here to learn more.