3StepDivorce Hawaii Divorce By Publication - Missing Spouse
When a Spouse Cannot Be Found in Hawaii

When one spouse wants to call it quits but cannot find his or her missing partner, or when he or she is hiding, divorce by publication comes into play. Service by publication is commonly used in a divorce action to serve a spouse who has disappeared without a leaving a forwarding address.

When the Respondent cannot or will not be found (and, therefore, fails to respond to the Summons within 20 days for attempted service of process), the Petitioner must conduct what is termed a "diligent search" followed by Service by Publication.

Hawaii's Search Requirements and Process

Hawaii courts require a good faith effort by the Petitioner to prove that he or she has made a genuine search for his or her missing partner. This search entails making a diligent effort and may include checking the telephone book and directory assistance, asking friends and relatives who might know the location of the missing spouse, checking the post office for any forwarding address and pursuing any other possible sources that might lead to a current address.

In order to be eligible for a "Divorce by Publication", you must complete and submit an Affidavit of Diligent Search to the court. This document clearly outlines all of the actions you have taken to locate your spouse, essentially proving to the court that your spouse absolutely can't be found.

>>> Download the Affidavit of Diligent Search

If you actively pursue locating your spouse through the methods outlined in the Affidavit of Diligent Search, and still can't locate your spouse, then a "Divorce by Publication" is your likely method of getting a divorce.

Filing for Divorce by Publication in Hawaii

If the search is fruitless, Hawaii Rule of Civil Procedure provides that "[w]henever a statute or an order of court If provides for service upon a party not an inhabitant of or found within the State, of a summons, or of a notice, or of an order in lieu of summons, service shall be made under the circumstances and in the manner prescribed by the statute or order. Whenever a statute or an order of court requires or permits service by publication of a summons, or of a notice, or of an order in lieu of summons, any publication pursuant thereto shall be made under the circumstances and in the manner prescribed by the statute or order."

When the Petitioner files the Affidavit of Plaintiff (for Uncontested Divorce), which is one of the forms filed, he or she states the date that the Affidavit of Publication was filed.

Hawaii Service by Publication is described in Hawaii Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 4.

Copyright Notice: These Hawaii divorce laws above are copyrighted by Divorce Source, Inc. This abbreviated and revised version of the state laws has been compiled from applicable state laws and unauthorized reproduction in any fashion is prohibited. Violation of this copyright notice may result in immediate legal action.

Get Started Today >>>

A Simple Divorce Process
BEGIN NOW - Choose State.
Answer the questions at your own pace.
Print, sign and file your divorce forms with your local court.
Get Started:
Only $299
or 2 monthly payments of $157
or 3 monthly payments of $109
Affordable & 100% guaranteed.
Instant Delivery - Instant Updates
Don't Settle for Anything Less

Divorce Exclusives
Not convinced? Try it before you buy it.

Watch Online Demo

Access Demo Account

Divorce Source, Inc. has been nationally recognized in the media since 1997.
Read Our Customer Feedback!
Divorce Source, Inc. is celebrating 18 years of online business. 1997-2015

Secure Site Versign Secure Site Guarantee Divorce Support Official PayPal Seal Divorce Application Our Facebook Page Our Twitter Page

Disclaimer: This is a quality non-lawyer self-help divorce solution. The 3StepDivorce Documentation software and service is not a substitute for the advice of a lawyer. Divorce Source, Inc. does not practice law and does not give out legal advice. The software and service allows you to represent yourself in doing your own divorce. If you need or desire legal representation we recommend that you hire a lawyer. Click here to learn more.