3StepDivorce Delaware Divorce By Publication - Missing Spouse
When a Spouse Cannot Be Found in Delaware

When one spouse wants to call it quits but cannot find his or her missing partner, or when he or she is hiding, divorce by publication comes into play. Divorce by publication happens "only after a judge has been convinced, based on a sworn declaration, of the serving party's inability to find the Defendant after trying hard. Service by publication is commonly used in a divorce action to serve a spouse who has disappeared without a leaving a forwarding address..."

When the Respondent cannot or will not be found (and, therefore, fails to respond to the Summons), the Petitioner must conduct what is termed a "diligent search" followed by Service by Publication.

Delaware's Search Requirements and Process

Delaware courts require a good faith effort by the Petitioner to prove that he or she has made a genuine search for his or her missing partner. This search includes talking with friends and relatives of the missing spouse and checking the Internet.

In order to be eligible for a "Divorce by Publication", you must complete and submit an Affidavit of Diligent Search to the court. This document clearly outlines all of the actions you have taken to locate your spouse, essentially proving to the court that your spouse absolutely can't be found.

>>> Download the Affidavit of Diligent Search

If you actively pursue locating your spouse through the methods outlined in the Affidavit of Diligent Search, and still can't locate your spouse, then a "Divorce by Publication" is your likely method of getting a divorce.

Filing for Divorce by Publication in Delaware

If the search is fruitless, the Petitioner must complete an Affidavit that a Party's Address is Unknown form and an Affidavit that a Party's Social Security Number is Unknown form. Like efforts to find the missing spouse's address, a good faith attempt must be made to locate the Social Security number.

Both the Affidavit that a Party's Address is Unknown form and an Affidavit that a Party's Social Security Number is Unknown form must be obtained in Family Court, and neither should be completed until the search for both is made.

On the Petition for Divorce/Annulment, the Petitioner must indicate 1) whether his or her spouse lives out of state and it is "unlikely that my spouse can be personally served" and/or 2) his or her address is unknown. In either case, the Petitioner must ask the court that the missing spouse be served by publication.

On the Request for Notice, which is a request for a summons, the Petitioner must indicate the newspaper he or she has selected from the list of approved newspapers. The notice gives the missing spouse 20 days to respond or face a default judgment in favor of the Petitioner.

Delaware Service by Publication is described in 13 Del.C. § 1508.

Copyright Notice: These Delaware divorce laws above are copyrighted by Divorce Source, Inc. This abbreviated and revised version of the state laws has been compiled from applicable state laws and unauthorized reproduction in any fashion is prohibited. Violation of this copyright notice may result in immediate legal action.

Get Started Today >>>

A Simple Divorce Process
BEGIN NOW - Choose State.
Answer the questions at your own pace.
Print, sign and file your divorce forms with your local court.
Get Started:
Only $299
or 2 monthly payments of $157
or 3 monthly payments of $109
Affordable & 100% guaranteed.
Instant Delivery - Instant Updates
Don't Settle for Anything Less

Divorce Exclusives
Not convinced? Try it before you buy it.

Watch Online Demo

Access Demo Account

Divorce Source, Inc. has been nationally recognized in the media since 1997.
Read Our Customer Feedback!
Divorce Source, Inc. is celebrating 18 years of online business. 1997-2015

Secure Site Versign Secure Site Guarantee Divorce Support Official PayPal Seal Divorce Application Our Facebook Page Our Twitter Page

Disclaimer: This is a quality non-lawyer self-help divorce solution. The 3StepDivorce Documentation software and service is not a substitute for the advice of a lawyer. Divorce Source, Inc. does not practice law and does not give out legal advice. The software and service allows you to represent yourself in doing your own divorce. If you need or desire legal representation we recommend that you hire a lawyer. Click here to learn more.